Thursday 16 June 2011

Highs and Lows

Things have all been a bit up and down round here recently. If you've been reading for a while you might remember that when we moved house earlier this year we inherited Dusty, the world's friendliest bantam. She quickly endeared herself to all who met her, even those who said they didn't like chickens. Sadly she disappeared last week. We let her out in the morning and when we got home she wasn't waiting at the back door as usual. We knocked on doors but with no luck. Not a feather in sight. We assume she was taken by a fox or maybe a cat although she's lived here for several years free range. Obviously we were all a bit gutted as she was such a character. We'll have to think carefully as to whether we get any more as I'm not keen to have them in a run all day.

On to brighter things. We took a trip to West Bay on Saturday and to this shop in particular. I had met Jackie, one of the owners at a vintage market and she wanted to stock some of my things. The Beach Hut is a nice mix of vintage and new children's clothes, toys, books, gifts... and well worth alook if you're in the area.
On the way in the Jammers spotted a new play park and what a nice one it was too. All wood and ropes with some more imaginative equipment. Even Mr Jam couldn't resist this swing thing.
After all that swinging we were in need of a spot of lunch and tried this sweet little cafe in the old station building (right next to the play park).
When the rain came I set to work on finishing off the smallest Jammer's quilt. I made the Pussy Willow patchwork weeks ago and she has been patiently waiting for me to do the sandwiching bit ever since. At least she can sleep well now! You will notice yet more Lloyd Loom sneaking into this shot. Thank you for all your comments on my last post.
Now for something completely new - well to me anyway. People often think I sell jams and jellies given my name so after picking a huge bowl of strawberries I thought I'd try my hand. I must admit I was a bit hofified at how much sugar you had to put in!
And the boiling bit got a bit scary. Lucky the pan was tall or we'd have been in a right mess.
It seems to have turned out ok but of course the proof will be in the tasting and I've got a couple of eager volunteers lined up to try it.

Next project is a baby blanket for the new arrival my sister is expecting any day now... better get sewing this weekend. Enjoy yours whatever you're up to!

4 comments:

  1. The quilt you made is beautiful, how beautiful sleeping children are!

    The jam looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about poor Dusty ~ they do become like family, don't they. And your day out looked absolutely wonderful ~ what a fun park and sweet cafe! Good on you for having a go at making jam ~ I'm still yet to try ~ they look wonderful, and I'm sure will taste as good as they look! Love Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor old Dusty, you must be sad, She sounded very lovely one on my bantams would go for the jugular given half a chance! At least she had a lovely free range home with you.
    Your quilt is sooo lovely,, the pussy willow is my favourite fabric I own, I have managed to find a piece in blue, pink and yellow now! I am a women processed! Your jam looks delicious as does that shop
    xx Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be really lovely to meet you Ellie, at Bridport..... I will have to show big restraint though, because I love your things you sell!
    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy. I love to read your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...